If you are looking for affordable VPN solution for your Apple TV VPN setup. Click here to visit HMA VPN, which costs around $7 per month with unlimited usage.
The latest Apple TV comes with Netflix, NBA TV, and other stream application. Unfortunately some of the service is limited to United States locally. If you are to access Netflix in Asia and Europe, your access will be denied. However, we can setup some trick to fool Netflix that you are physically located within United States. One of the famous solution is going through VPN (Virtual Private Network).
How to setup Apple TV VPN?
- Firstly you have to sign up for a VPN account. There are a number of VPN providers around and I subscribe the service from Hide My Ass. It costs me about $8 a month for six months prepayment.
- Next you have to config Apple TV to pass the traffic through the VPN service. However, Apple TV (even the Jailbroken version) does not support VPN natively. We have to setup some “middleman” device like vpn router to help doing the job. I am using ASUS RT-N16 as it is recommended by Hide My Ass.
Configuration of VPN Router for Apple TV VPN Settings
Before we start, make sure you have the following ready:
- An ASUS RT-N16 router
- An account with Hide My Ass
- The PPTP server IP, user and password. You may login your control panel in Hide My Ass to find out
- Download the DD-WRT firmware. If you are using other brand of router, you may check DD-WRT database to see if it is supported and download the firmware
You may proceed further if the above items are ready.
Installation of DD-WRT firmware on your router
- Connect your router using an Ethernet Cable
- Using Internet Explorer (IMPORTANT: NOT FIREFOX), Flash the downloaded firmware file through the router’s GUI at http://192.168.1.1/. This process takes around 60 seconds. The default admin username/password is admin/admin
- After the reboot after flashing, wait for the device to show DD-WRT. Enter root and any password
- Do a Factory Reset to clear the NVRAM. It is located at Adminstration>Factory Defaults
Configure your VPN router
- Visit the dd-wrt dashboard by http://192.168.1.1/
- Go to Setup > Basic Setup, set the followings
- Connection Type: PPTP
- Use DHCP: Yes
- Gateway (PPTP Server): (Your IP of HMA VPN Server)
- User Name: (The username of PPTP server)
- Password: (The password of PPTP server)
- Connection Strategy: Keep Alive
- PPTP Encryption: Enable
- Additional PPTP Options: mppe required, stateless
- STP: Disabled
- Now you can connect the VPN router to your network, either attach it to your internet router like Airport Extreme, or directly to your ISP. It should be ready to go
Apple TV VPN Settings – Configure your Apple TV to pass through VPN
- On your Apple TV, go to Settings > General > Network > Configure TCP/IP > Manually
- Input your VPN Router IP in the Router entry
- You should be able to login Netflix through Hide My Ass VPN
If you run into problem on flashing the firmware, you may visit dd-wrt website to check the details. It is located here
If you have any question, you may leave comment here. Or if you find the above is too complicated, you may try to subscribe some DNS service like Unblock Us. It is easy to setup and cost you $5 per month only.
By Apple TV VPN Team
Incoming search terms:
- vpn apple tv 2
- apple tv vpn setup
- apple tv vpn connection
- apple tv 2 VPN
- vpn for apple tv 2
- apple tv vpn settings
- connect apple tv to vpn
- vpn and apple tv
- vpn on apple tv 2
- hma apple tv
- how to set up vpn on apple tv
- apple tv asus router
- how to use hide my ass on appletv
- как закачать aple tv vpn
- how to use computers hma to connect apple tv
- how to set up dns from command line on apple tv2
- how to install vpn on apple tv
- how to watch netflix in apple tv here in qatar?
- inable vpn on a apple tv 2